Significant environmental aspects
Tallinna Vesi’s activity affects to a greater or lesser extent the quality of life and surrounding environment of Tallinners. As a responsible company we aim to operate in an environmentally friendly manner and reduce any adverse effect on the environment.
For that the Company has identified the aspects of the operation that cause or may cause the most significant changes in the surrounding environment. Based on the significance of those aspects, the environmental objectives of the Company have been set and necessary control mechanisms established to avoid or mitigate any adverse environmental impacts. The delivery of these objectives/tasks is regularly being monitored.
An overview of the environmental efficiency of AS Tallinna Vesi is provided in the Environmental Report.
The most significant environmental aspects and impacts of AS Tallinna Vesi include:
- Maintaining of sanitary protection areas protects drinking water sources and the natural environment, supporting the improvement of biodiversity in the surroundings of Lake Ülemiste and in the lake.
- Using the heat energy produced on site from biogas, which is a residue of the sludge digestion process, reduces the ecological footprint and dependence on the heat produced from non-renewable resources.
- Construction waste has a low potential of being reused and is bulky, causing soil damage.
- Using electrical energy pollutes the environment, causes ambient pollution and accelerates the exhaustion of fossil fuels.
- Water extraction and treatment involve energy and chemical consumption and the resulting environmental impacts.
- Supplying compliant drinking water to consumers creates the opportunity to choose tap water over bottled water, thus reducing the impact from the use of disposable plastic bottles.
- Discharge of untreated wastewater into the environment pollutes the environment and has a negative impact on the marine life and -environment.